Dan Turner, the father of convicted rapist and former Standford University student, Brock Turner, has started a legal defense fund on behalf of his son. According to the Dayton Daily News, the account created at a local credit union is still active.
The younger Turner was convicted of three felony charges last week after sexually assaulting an unconscious woman after a fraternity party in January 2015. He was then sentenced to six months in county jail, but is expected to serve no more than three with good behavior.
Oh, and a female friend blames Brock Turner's conviction on campus drinking and political correctness and his father cried to the internet about how his sweet little convicted rapist of a golden boy can't enjoy his rib-eye steaks anymore because dealing with consequences is probably a new thing, maybe. And there is a petition to remove Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky, who also is receiving support from the a gay, feminist defense lawyer. Also, I don't care what his father says but "twenty minutes of action" amounts to a third-party admission of guilt because if he's referring to drinking, 20 straight minutes of drinking anything without a break is actually called drowning.
Are we all caught up now? Good, because we are done with this bullshit. The Turner family and their little legal defense fund for their son is all the motivation we need to do good where it is needed most (and that would be anywhere but Brock Turner's legal defense fund.) I asked blog readers to share their favorite causes and charities and I am sharing them with you because anger is a wonderful motivator to stand up and speak out. I did. Pissed off at this whole situation? Use that energy to make a difference to a cause that speaks to you.
ORGANIZATIONS & CAUSES NOT BENEFITTING A CONVICTED RAPIST NAMED BROCK TURNER
- Cleveland Rape Crisis Center - Founded in 1974, the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center provided necessary services to the victims of sexual assault.
- Black Mamaba Anti-Poaching Unit - The Black Mamba APU is the first all women anti-poaching unit, who operate within Balule Nature Reserve.
- WomensLaw.org - Provides direct links to various nonprofit organizations benefitting both female and male victims of domestic and sexual crimes.
- Take Back the Night - The foundation seeks to end all forms of sexual violence.
- EndExtinction,org - San Diego Zoo Global Wildlife Conservancy Program empowers people to help save species from extinction in a number of ways.
- Boston Area Rape Crisis Center - Offers free and comprehensive services to survivors.
- Arachnoid Tumor Surgery Fund for Gracia Hinojosa - A Houston mother raising money for her own brain surgery.
- RAINN - The Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence network.
- DoD Safe Help Line - Operated by RAINN, the Safe Help Line is dedicated to providing services to military members that have been victimized.
- Kidney Transplant Fundraiser for Victoria Bright - A North Carolina woman is raising money for her own kidney transplant.
- Art for Change - The organization uses art as a catalyst to encourage the advancement of progressive social change.
- Gofundme for a Family in Need - A Tennessee couple is fundraising to cover costs related to medical issues.
- Zac Brewer FTM Transgender Surgery - NYT Best-selling author, Zac Brewer, is raising funds for female to male top transgender surgery. There are T-Shirts.
- Meagan's Medical Expenses - A medical fundraiser for a single mom who has been unable to work for a year.
- #20MinutesofAction - Twenty minutes can change rape culture and stop an assault.
- Climb Out of the Darkness (Team Massachusetts-Concord) - The world's largest event raising awareness for maternal mental illnesses like Postpartum Depression, OCD, and Psychosis. The first link is a general donation and the second helps raise our team numbers but directly benefits the nonprofit.
- Save Sarah - Family & friends of 17-yr-old Sarah are raising funds to legally win her freedom from the Christian boarding facility where her parents sent her to "pray away the gay."
- Cheer Season Fundraiser: $1 raffle tickets to help a young girl and her team for the coming cheer season
- Friends of Maddie - Assists families that are suffering financial hardship after losing a child by providing them with monetary grant.
That's what I've got. Thank you to those who submitted your causes. Please feel free to add your own in the comments.